Sunday, November 11, 2012

#RIP Hashtags--How Do These Get Started?

Has anyone else ever noticed these #RIP hashtags on Twitter that pop up at random times? I never used to notice them until I saw "#RIPSnooki" trending. My first reaction was, "SERIOUSLY?" I had to check into it right away, so I clicked on the trend and was absolutely appalled by what I saw. 

It's true folks, social media seems to be its own social media assassin. 

Twitter has fatally popular trends


I read several tweets claiming all sorts of things: 

#RIPSnooki, she died in Hurriance Sandy....#sosad

Snooki died giving birth #RIPSnooki #RIPLorenzo

Jersey Shore cancelled because Snooki passed #RIPSnooki #RIPJerseyShore

#RIPSnooki can't believe Snooki is gone...such a terrible accident

Snooki shouldn't have bought that big truck..#RIPSnooki


These are just a few I found online...and I was in complete shock. I then googled if she had actually passed away and it surprised me even more that there were several articles and results popping up claiming "social media is a celebrity assassin." 

No, Snook didn't actually die. Several hashtags have been created that have claimed multiple stars such as Justin Bieber, Morgan Freeman, and Mel Gibson have passed away and the tweets are crazy and explicit. 

I know social media has its ups and downs, but this is seriously one of the craziest things I have ever seen. Why do people make up deaths of celebrities? And how do they get so many people to retweet and use their #RIP hashtags?! 

I am at a loss for words right now. Social media is a way to channel news, and it obviously channels false news as well. Just be sure to check out these hashtags...I honestly am appalled by them. 

What do you guys think of these #RIP hashtags? Let me know your thoughts! 


3 comments:

  1. I am appalled as well.
    These people need a life. And some self-esteem.
    The things people will do for a little publicity (or a retweet) are ridiculous.
    Like you said, this is social media at its worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed some of these, too. I remember seeing the #RIPMorganFreeman and I said, "NOOOOOOO!" It is ridiculous the way people abuse social media, especially Twitter. I will admit that I don't use Twitter to network or for practical business uses, but I don't used trends such as #RIP. It seems so silly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also saw the #RIPMorganFreeman. I was so sad at first until I realized it was all fake. I wondered the same thing, how do people get this hashtag to catch on? I don't know anyone that would join in on this mean spirited game.

    ReplyDelete