Thursday, October 25, 2012

Seven Titles Gone With One Delete

As most of you may already know, three days ago, October 22, Lance Armstrong was stripped of all seven of his Tour de France titles. From what I read, the U.S. Anti-doping Agency (USADA) report said Armstrong and his previous teams used steroids; blood booster EPO and blood transfusions. The report also included statements given by 11 of Armstrong's former teammates who all testified against Armstrong. 


Lance Armstrong 


I have been following this story for a while now and once I read this I instantly thought, "I need to blog about this...but how can I from a social media aspect?" After doing some research, I found my answer. 

I began researching different stories about Lance Armstrong's social media accounts, and I found that as of late Monday night, Armstrong's bio on all of his social media accounts, which included his seven Tour de France titles. 

On Monday, his Twitter account read as such: 


"Father of 5 amazing kids, 7-time Tour de France winner, full time cancer fighter, part time triathlete."

On Tuesday, it read like this: 


"Raising my five kids. Fighting Cancer. Swim, bike, run and golf whenever I can." 


His description change on Twitter isn't the only action his Twitter has been getting. On October 17th, Armstrong announced to his followers that he was stepping down as chairman of the Livestrong cancer-awareness charity he created. 

But wait...I am not done yet. 

As of Monday morning (when I last looked at his page), he had over 3,800,000 followers. Today, he only has 3,791,718 and the number seems to go down every time I look at his profile. 

Not only did his reputation take a huge hit, his Twitter account seems to be getting hit hard too.


My take on the issue:

Was what Lance Armstrong did wrong? Of course it was wrong and he should have gotten stripped of his titles. However, I don't think we should look at Armstrong negatively just because of this. He fought Stage 3 cancer and I still consider him a hero regardless. 



What do you think of this scandal? Share your thoughts with me! 


You can find Lance Armstrong's Twitter here! 





Tour de France medals 

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. This post is really making me think, Ashley. I usually try to avoid controversy, but I will state my opinion.
    I think it was smart to frame himself as so many other things, rather than just a cyclist.
    However, I don't view him as courageous. When one has cancer, doing everything you can to survive isn't really a choice. Or is it? I don't know the right answer.
    I do know that fighting cancer forces one to be strong. It forces someone to be brave.
    However, I believe cheating is the most cowardly thing a person can do. So.. I don't know why Lance Armstrong is framed as braver or more noble than any other cancer surivior. Not every one has the capacity to start an organization that rasies millions of dollars. He had the capacity to do so because he cheated his way to the top, in order have an undeserved title.
    Jeni Kmic deserves more praise than Lance Armstrong.
    My mom deserves more praise than Lance Armstrong.
    I am rambling. Rambling over.

    ReplyDelete