Sunday, October 21, 2012

You Are What You Post

Facebook. People use it for several reasons--connecting with friends, keeping up with family, and collecting their pictures from their awesome adventures. 

Facebook can be a great social media outlet--and sometimes not so great. I always thought my profile was clean and proper, but I got quite a reality check a couple of weeks ago when a professor brought up the topic of "clean profiles" and employment. I quickly figured out that my profile was far from "clean". 

I am currently a senior and looking into employment opportunities for my future so I paid close attention to what things employees look at:

1. Pictures
2. Posts (statuses, wall posts, etc.)
3. Profile information (marital status, likes, etc.) 


Guess what three things I messed up on? ALL THREE. I guess what I thought was "okay" wasn't exactly "employment friendly." 

My advice to you would be to look through all of your tagged pictures, privacy settings, older and recent posts, and your user profile. It is really important to showcase yourself in the best light at all times. After all, you are trying to market yourselves to these companies. 

Your personality reflects what your profile says. 

Just be sure to look through your profile and privacy settings and make sure your profile is user-friendly.

What precautions do you take to ensure your profile reflects you in the best light?

1 comment:

  1. Ash, don't worry. I thought the exact same thing - that my profile was squeaky clean! But, I guess it wasn't.... (swimsuit pictures from family vacation = not really appropriate)

    And tagged pictures are the hardest to keep track of!

    But agreed. You are what you post.

    ReplyDelete